Sunday, May 23, 2010

Oscars 2010- My take on the dresses

Promised myself I would make my fashion blog and not write about fashion on here, but alas, I cannot help writing about one of my loves. Thought I would explain some of these dresses ;p.



Our first, of course, is Sandra Bullock, who accepted the award of "Best Female Actress" for her role in "The Blind Side". I personally enjoy Bullock. She has a real sense of elegance and professionalism, and is, indeed, a talented actress. I saw part of the Blind Side (haven't had time yet), and I also saw her in the Proposal. My review on her Oscar dress, though, is mixed. The upper part of the dress was like an embellished shirt and was pretty, but a little see through (but not as see through as some of the dresses ;p). The length of the dress was fine, since it trailed behind her a bit on the floor, although it was an pencil style and pretty fitting around the bum/legs. The plain hairstyle was a step down from the dress, and surprising, but gave her a together and sweet appearance that fit her personality. Overall, the dress was okay, although I don't think it was very flattering and in my opinion, not the best choice.



I loved Cameron Diaz's dress (I'm not giving my personal opinion on each attendee). Although her dress was strapless, it was gorgeous and beautiful. Gold and the nude, plain colors were popular this year. Since she is petite, the strapless dress wasn't a problem, if you know what I mean (it can be really disgusting on curvy girls), and was one of my favorites. Her wavy, loose hair was very pretty with the dress, and since she is a blonde, her hair and her dress flattered each other wonderfully. And yes, I liked this dress better than Bullock's ;p.



Other than the color, I did not like Kate Winslet's dress (nothing against her personally). It looks... partially finished and kindov like armor (uncomfortable). I don't know what was wrong with the bottom part of the dress. The skirt part was too thin, and then had a slit down the middle that almost made it seem like it was dress pants. She herself, was of course lovely, and her hair was beautiful, but the dress could use some help.



I really liked Jennifer Lopez' dress. Yes, this one was also strapless, but, as the other strapless dresses, wasn't very "revealing". Some might call it crazy but I thought the dress was creative and very impowering. The dip under the arm was clever and the huge, what do you call it, on her hip that had many folds and gave the dress volume was brilliant. I really liked the dress, and Lopez' glow and elegant hair gave this dress a sophisticated edge without being overly sexy.

NOTE: I am not doing all of the dresses (like Miley Cyrus', Sarah Jessica Parker, Nicole Richie, Charlie Therzon, Kristin Stewart, and Hillary Swank). Hillary Swank's dress was hugely innapropriate, as well as some of the others, and some were just not worth talking about and I did not want to bash them. Also, I don't really have time ;D. By the way, although I didn't like Nicole Richie's dress, I do have to give her credit for wearing something so modest ;p.



Zoe Saldana's Oscar dress was very interesting and I loved it. Strapless, yet, but with a petite woman it is not very immodest and looks nice. It looked like two or three different dresses, and that is what I loved about the Givenchy dress. The lavender band and empire waist line was, as my mother would say, very complimentary. The unexpected boom beginning at the knees of the dress was a pleasant surprise and it turned out to be a very pretty, yet spunky dress. If the colors had been different or yellow/orange or something else, it would not have looked half as great ;p. The lavender themed dress went well with her skin color, and a sophisticated updo was a wise choice (large curls or something major would not have gone well with the bold dress). Loved the dress!



Catherine Bigelow is a hard working director and isn't someone you'd expect to see glamming up regularly, but she really did hit it when she went to the 2010 Oscars. Her dress was modest and elegant; a sleeveless crew neck heart decorated top with an empire waist and a shiny, silk skirt that reached the floor. With loose waves and an optimistic smile, Bigelow looked statuesque before and after she accepted the award for Best Director.



Penelope Cruz looked stunning at the Oscars. Clever, she choose a bold and elegant red dress that matched the red carpet at the Oscars. Strapless (very popular this year, can you tell?!) with two level neckline and thick satin pleats. Long and formal, Cruz' gown was ravishing and her soft updo completed the gorgeous look of the Best Supporting Actress nominee.



Best Actress Nominee looked elegant at this year's Oscars. Although pretty modest, I didn't really like the sparkles and the long sleeves. I did, however, like the color and the texture, and think it made an excellent Oscar dress.

Tadah!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I love looking at all the different fashions out there, and it's especially encouraging to see the modest ones (though I personally never wear strapless, and I don't believe in anyone wearing it, it's a lot better than many of the other things worn at the Oscars!) :) Your comments on Kate W.'s dress made me laugh--I thought the exact same thing when I saw the picture! Very well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I really loved doing this. I have been telling myself to get my fashion blog up for the last year, but haven't gotten around to it. I might do some more fashion posts on yours... yeah! Strapless was so common this year. But there was a mix between the really immodest strapless dresses and the 'better' ones. Yeah, not sure what Kate W. was thinking there ;p.

    ReplyDelete