Sunday, April 18, 2010

Build your vocabulary

Hey everyone!

This is a post I made awhile ago on another blog. I decided to post it here, too :)


I thought it might be fun to see what really long, obscure words I could spell and build into my vocabulary. I love how God gave our minds the ability to come up with new words.

Here’s what I found (I’m only including the words I can use frequently to help me remember them):

  • Thaumaturgy: miracles or magic (Jesus’s thaumaturgy proved His diety)
  • Phrontistery: an establishment for learning (the University of Wisconsin is a phrontistery)
  • Logorrhea: an excessive (and many times incoherent) stream of words (my 2-year-old sister’s logorrhea is tiring at times, but I am thankful to have such an adorable sibling!)
  • Acersecomic: someone whose hair has never been cut (most people in our society give being an acersecromic for their stylish haircut)
  • Achromatopsia: color-blindness (the girl with achromatopsia could not tell whether the stoplight was red or green)

Interested in more fun words like thaumaturgy, logerrhea, acersecomic, and achromatopsia (yes, there was a lacuna in that list)? Go to your local phrontistery ;) (there’s our missing word!), or find them online at http://phrontistery.info

No comments:

Post a Comment