Friday, January 21, 2011

The Unhappy "Happy Bubble"

[A book that I can't recommend enough right now is Out of the Salt-Shaker & into the World: Evangelism as a Way of Life by Rebecca Manley Pippert. It inspired this post! Some parts have radically changed my life. Others have reinforced what I already suspected to be true. It's strengthened my faith and my desire to share Jesus with the world. I'm not going to say "If you get a chance, be sure to read it." If you're a Christian, I recommend you go right now to your bookstore and buy it. Don't wait. Seriously. Next to the Bible, Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem and Living the Cross-Centered Life by C. J. Mahaney, this is my favorite book.]

Lots of Christians go around today in what I like to call the "happy bubble." They try to be as "holy" as possible--which means no contact with the world whatsoever. Because Jesus called us to be pure...right?

But here's a problem: Jesus LIVED in the world and stayed pure--he didn't avoid it. He lived in a world with NO Christians, NO church, NO Christian bookstores, NO Christian music, NO Christian t-shirts, NO Bibles. He lived in a world full of hate, prejudice, twisted religion, slavery, injustice, division, adultery, idolatry, greed...you name it. He talked to and even became friends with corrupt government officials, prostitutes, superficial religious fakers, hated minority groups, radical revolutionists...once again, you name it!

And we're called to be like Him.

Remember what I said at the beginning? Lots of Christians go around today in what I like to call the "happy bubble." They try to be as "holy" as possible--which means no contact with the world whatsoever. Because Jesus called us to be pure...right?

Right. But He also called us to be light and salt.

All of us "happy bubble" Christians (I know I'm included in this group) know of the verse that talks about lighting a lamp and covering it with a bowl. If that verse is completely unfamiliar to you, you probably at least know the children's song:

This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine!
...
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!

Hide it under a bushel--NO!
I'm gonna let it shine!

...
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!



As Christians, we would object to the accusation that we are "hiding" our light from the world. But let me ask you something...

Are you hiding yourself from the world? Because YOU are carrying the light. And if YOU aren't visible to the world, then YOU are hiding the light.

I've fallen into the trap of thinking that there are a few kinds of Christians. Some, I was sure, are called to witness to nonbelievers. These Christians are great at bringing non-Christians into the church. Other Christians (like me) were called to make people feel welcome and loved within the church. Which I didn't have much of a problem with. It's easy to make your friends, who you know probably won't contradict you on your core beliefs, feel "loved" and "welcomed."

But you know what? I was wrong. We are ALL called to do BOTH! As Christians, we shouldn't be either "going forth unto all the world" OR "loving our neighbors as ourselves." NO! We should be ALL be doing BOTH. Jesus said, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:34-45) He didn't say, "A new command I give some of you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so some of you must love one another. Others are called to show everyone that you are my disciples. They will bring to you non-Christians, and you will love them and one another." That's totally twisted. He gives us all the command to love; He gives us all the command to share.


 Now, let me ask you a question: how are you sharing?

1 comment:

  1. This really got to me! It is so hard to be the light with all the pressures in this world. I want people to be able to tell right away that I'm a Christian, but at the same time I want them to SEE it. I shouldn't have to be preaching at them for them to figure it out. They should look at my life and know that there is something greater within me. It can be very hard though :)

    ReplyDelete