Monday, January 25, 2010

Tough Questions [Topic] Post 3: Predestination II

Okay, and now for the somewhat-lighter sequel to Predestination I... (please read that one first :)

The "other side" of predestination which I told you about at the end of the last post has to do with whether or not the future is planned. Let me put it this way: in the light of Predestination I's views, either God has already decided exactly what you will do tomorrow or He will influence/control you in the moment.

Is your "fate" already decided?

The Bible seems to suggest that some moments - possibly all - are already planned. Whenever God used prophecy to predict the life of Jesus, He said in essence that those parts of the future were already decided. Jesus' place of birth was decided. The actions of the emperor, of Pontious Pilot, of Mary, etc., had all been determined already.

Also, whenever God mentions that He has plans for us, that His purposes prevail, that He knows the future, that He will guide us--each of those, in my opinion, shows that God has already planned the events of our lives.

We should still act responsibly, of course, but rest in knowing that God is ultimately in control.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I just started Chosen By God by R.C. Sproul for school, and it is extremely intreesting and somewhat confusing ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I've never read that book. I'll have to take a look at it! :)

    ReplyDelete