Friday, February 11, 2011

Convo Starters: Forget You

I caught a friend of mine singing this yesterday, and (after being informed that the ultra-sucessful teen TV show Glee had covered the song) decided to use it in today's post. And yes, I'm posting the Glee video. Forgive the language, please. 




(Chorus)
I see you driving 'round town
With the girl I love and I'm like,
Forget you!
Oo, oo, oooo
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn't enough, I'm like,
Forget you!
And forget her too!
Said, if I was richer, I'd still be with ya
ha , aint that some shit?
ain't that some shit
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish you the best with a...
Forget you!
Oo, oo, oooo

Yeah I'm sorry, I can't afford a ferrari,
But that don't mean I can't get you there.
I guess he's an xbox and I'm more atari,
But the way you play your game ain't fair.

I pity the fooool that falls in love with you oh
(oh shit she's a gold digger)
Well
(just thought you should know nigga)
Ooooooh
I've got some news for you
Yeah go run and tell your little boyfriend

I see you driving 'round town
With the girl I love and I'm like,
Forget you!
Oo, oo, oooo
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn't enough, I'm like,
Forget you!
And forget her too!
Said, if I was richer, I'd still be with ya
ha , aint that some shh?
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish you the best with a...
Forget you!
Oo, oo, oooo

Now I know, that I had to borrow,
Beg and steal and lie and cheat.
Trying to keep ya, trying to please ya.
'Cause being in love with you ain't cheap.

now, I pity the fool that falls in love with you ohh
(oh shh she's a gold digger)
Well
(just thought you should know nigga)
Ooooooh
I've got some news for you
uh! I really hate your friend right now!

I see you driving 'round town
With the girl I love and I'm like,
Forget you!
Oo, oo, oooo
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn't enough, I'm like,
Forget you!
And forget her too!
Said, if I was richer, I'd still be with ya
ha , aint that some shh?
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish you the best with a...
Forget you!
Oo, oo, oooo

Now baby, baby, baby, why d'you wanna wanna hurt me so bad?
(so bad, so bad, so bad)
I tried to tell my mamma but she told me
"this is one for your dad"
(your dad, your dad, your dad)
Uh! Whhhy? Uh! Whhhy? Uh!
Whhhy lady? Oh! I love you
I still Love you!! Ohhhh...

I see you driving 'round town
With the girl I love and I'm like,
Forget you!
Oo, oo, oooo
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn't enough, I'm like,
Forget you!
And forget her too!
Said, if I was richer, I'd still be with ya
ha , aint that some shit?
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish you the best with a...
Forget you!
Oo, oo, oooo



Conversation starters:
This is actually a great conversation starter. The song is rich and deep, but on its own it's not going to do much good to a worldview. It needs a little help--which you can provide in a little conversation.


REJECTION/WORTH/GREED: It's so sad that the girl rejected him just 'cause he didn't have enough money! Some people. *pause for response* I mean, I can see where some people might want the money, but things happen, you know? That rich guy could lose all his money in a flash, and then where would she be?


WORTH/GREED/PRIORITIES: I think it's sad that the girl didn't see character first. I mean, yeah, it's nice to have money, but money isn't what makes you happy. *have conversation about money not making you happy*


REJECTION/GRACE: Okay, you know the one problem I have with that song? I mean, sure, she rejected him, and sure, he didn't deserve to get treated that way, but did he really have to get so angry at her in return? It's not like his anger did anything except stress him out. And you know, some people take their anger farther, and when you start getting into revenge, that's a vicious cycle that doesn't accomplish anything. He'd be much better off just being like, "Well, that's her problem!" and finding someone else.


And the review...

Synopsis: A guy loves a girl, but she is only dating wallets (so to speak)--so he angrily lashes out at her.


Background: Couldn't find anything on Wikipedia. Let me know if you research and come up with something.


Central theme: Rejection


Good points: It gives a voice to those of us who aren't filthily wealthy, and hints that there's more to a person than the "change in their pocket."


Bad points: Language. #1. You really don't need to use dirty words--and there's a reason they're called "dirty" words!--to get your point across. Secondly, the song responds to rejection with anger. A better response would be sympathy; after all, if a girl is only dating for money, you have to be sympathetic. She's got some pretty pathetic priorities and probably isn't very happy.


Overall: Not a great song, but it does show the reality of human nature: we're prone to falling into love of money over love of character, and it's easy to get angry when you're rejected. However, those aren't character traits to emulate! 
And I have to add...You gotta admit, the first verse is pretty sweet (from a lyricist's viewpoint, anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment