Friday, November 20, 2009

Worldliness

What is worldiness? Let me put this another way: How can Christians avoid worldliness? Through being generous to the poor? Through not being greedy? Through remembering that God is the source of all wealth? Yes, all those things help defer worldliness; nevertheless, worldliness is not limited to those issues.
1My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. 2Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. 3If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," 4have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

5Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6But you have insulted the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7Are they not the ones who are slandering the noble name of him to whom you belong?

8If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. 9But if you show favoritism, you sin...

~James 2:1-9a, NIV, thanks to BibleGateway.org

This passage is a great demonstration of problem seen even within the church. People are still people, whether they're penniless or wealthy, whether they shop at consignment stores or upscale clothing lines, whether they share a teensy apartment in a bad part of a city or they live in a gigantic mansion in the country - we should still treat them like people! I am still myself regardless of my material possessions; you are still yourself regardless of your material possessions. If you and I were buddies, I should like you because of who God made you to be, not because of what God has given your family (and vice-versa).

So what about you? Are you ready to treat everyone the same, no matter how much money they have?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ruth,

    Thanks for updating this again. I really enjoy reading the blog, and hope you will write a second post on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! :)
    I'm so glad you liked it! Maybe I will :)

    ReplyDelete